jeudi 19 janvier 2012

I don't know if I should be thrilled or not for Resident Evil 6

As most of you already know, the Resident Evil 6 debut trailer has been released today, generating a lot of reaction from many gamers around the world, especially with its November 20th release. I watched it, obviously, but even after reading an article or two on its features, I can't really say if I'm hyped or not for this game.

Why? Well it's complicated. I've been a Resident Evil fan for over a decade, at first because my brother was a HUGE fan of the first 3 or 4 games of the series, then, with the release of Resident Evil 0 on GameCube, I became a big fan myself. Obviously my appreciation towards the franchise exploded with the fantastic Resident Evil 4, which is 3rd on my all-time list of best video games. Then we saw the release, amid controversy, of the very good Resident Evil 5. It received positive reviews, but the general consensus among gamers was that RE5 was a shorter RE4 with a worse story, less survival-horror elements and probably too much action-oriented. I'm not saying I didn't like it. In fact, it's one of the only games I played enough to actually unlock the Platinum trophy.

With RE6's trailer, it seems like Capcom will be focusing once again on hollywoodian action sequences with survival-horror elements here and there, a bit like a bigger, bolder RE5. And that makes me a bit worried. I certainly enjoyed seeing Leon, Chris and what seemed like RE4's Ashley in the trailer, but I don't know about having 3, possibly 4 protagonists in a single game. As for the action elements, I certainly don't mind a bit of blood-pumping action as we saw in RE4 and scarcely in earlier titles. But for me, Resident Evil is more about that feeling you have that there is always something wrong, something threatening your own existence and those moments where you just walk around, exploring, looking for stuff to help you get to the next save point in one piece. RE5 lacked that atmosphere of survival, except for a few great levels, and I can only hope that RE6 will be closer to #4 than #5.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to RE6 and I can't see myself NOT buying it. I simply hope that it'll be more like RE4 and less like RE5.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire